Hier is een verslag van de Q&A met Jon. Het is geen letterlijke transcript, maar het geeft een goed beeld van welke vragen er zijn gesteld en welke antwoorden Jon heeft gegeven.
1. Tour will start November 1st with 75 shows. No Australia stops on the tour, he only said 13 stops in Europe this time and 55 in the US and Japan. It will be the shortest tour ever, starting November 1st. They are also doing a pep rally for the New England Patriots at Gilette stadium, Foxboro on September 4, 2005 – Labor Day weekend. He wasn’t sure how to get tickets.
2. Live 8 Concert, Philly 20 Minute set with 4 songs and Have Nice Day will be played. They are a headliner but playing at the beginning will be on TV.
3. If we’ll do Giants it will be Summer of 06
4. Jon mentioned frequently that he was very serious about people recording the new songs from the event. He said, ‘I know someone is recording this, don’t let me catch you because you will be prosecuted. I just know it will be on the net. Everyone yelled, (then one person said – Jon we wouldn’t do that to you… and then he kind of said.. Ya Right.. not joking either.) No sir…. And he said Ya, Right! Don’t wreck this, because we are planning on doing 2 more of these types of events. If you see anyone recording this, please report them.
5. Q: What did you think about playing at the SAP concert in Boston when you were playing for a convention and not a lot of fans?
A: I enjoyed having to work to get the crowd into it. I know I can play anything for you guys and you will love it and if I suck you guys would give me the benefit of the doubt, but there I had to work at it.
6. Q: Who would you like to do a duet with?
A: Lucinda Williams and/or Pink
7. Q: Who do you like for bands now?
A: Jet, The Killers, likes listening to Dave Mathews but hates them Live. Hates 3 Doors Down, thinks they suck. They will definitely not be their opening act!
8. Q: With the changes in the music industry over the past 20 years, what artists are out there now that he admires and feels stand a chance of surviving?
A: About the same answer as #7
9. Q: What’s the deal with no Instant Replay during AFL Games?
A: I think it will happen…
10. Q: What ever happened with the songs that you wrote with Johnny Reznick during the last tour?
A: We never finished them
11. Q: Will the Keith Urban duet be on the new CD?
A: Jon said that the Keith Urban thing was just something they got together to do they met in the gym. Keith has his copy and Jon has his, that’s it, no plans to do anything with it. Keith was a good performer just a bit more country than myself. He said that he is collaborating with another country artist (didn’t want to say who), and that it will be released on a country album.
12. Q: Boxer or Briefs?
A: I have a thong on today!
13. Q: This is the Guys version of Boxers or Briefs, Rolling Stones or Beatles?
A: Stones they are the best Rock n Roll band. He said that we was going to tell us a little story about them. So he starts…. Once the Stones were at the Power Station.. and we said we knew that one, so he laughed and he said… Oh! I told you that one already! OK, this other one… In 1995 I asked to open for them, they said OK but that they wouldn’t pay us. We went to the Voodoo Lounge to meet with them it was cool to see my father there, having drinks with one of the Stones (I forgot who he said), and that Jesse was only 3 months old and he was there holding him, so Jagger came to him with a guitar pick and said, so you can also write hits with the boys one day. And Jesse went screaming. He (Jagger) has that effect on children too
14. Q; I was with one of the musicians (?) that worked on the Blaze of Glory with you, without him knowing I was a BJ fan, he mentioned that you were one of the best people he has ever worked with.
A: That was during the period I call my ‘grey’ period and thanks …..
15. Q: When are you going to make Hugh McDonald an official member?
A: Who are you, Mrs McDonald? Hugh is a member of the band and 10 times better bassist than Alec ever was. However, it will be Alec that we’ll take to the Hall of Fame with us. Alec was there before the band even had a label and he was on the original recording of Runaway. He stuck by us and was faithful to the band during hard times when we started out. Never aired our dirty laundry or wrote books about us… this in red is just our take on what he said… He said that way back it was those 4 guys who always stood by him when he didn’t even had 10 cents and nobody will ever take their places
16. Q: Where is your favorite place to play outside of Jersey?
A: I would say Dublin, Ireland, Boston, Toronto Canada… Dublin is my favorite.
17. Q: Will you be touring in Australia? (yelled out after many countries were asked)
A: Australia was unfortunately not part of the tour itinerary. I love Australia but Australia they don’t love me!
18. Q: Jon, this is a crazy question, I even feel a bit embarrassed to ask you, but I’m sick of reading it on the message boards and hearing the girls that actually meet you say how good you smell, so will you tell us once and for all what you where for cologne!
A: Crowd laughed and yelled! He got a little embarrassed and said Well, this morning I don’t think my son would agree with you… I went for a jog and when I came back and was running up the stairs, Jesse, my son said ‘Dad you stink’! He kept calling me stinky… Everyone kept yelling ‘ Well, tell us!’ He laughed, smelled his self… I don’t have anything on today, I really don’t know what I wear… I guess, I bit of Coors Light behind the ears…
19. Q: Do you have any regrets professionally?
A: No regrets
20. Q: What happened to your movies that you filmed?
A: The hockey one doesn’t look like you will ever see it.
21. Q: Have you written anymore screen plays?
A: No, and the ones that I wrote got re-written so many times that they aren’t even the same anymore. They never went anywhere.
22. Q: Will you be doing anymore acting?
A; Not right now, you sort of have to live in Hollywood to get into it. Its all about football now…
23. Q: Who do you want to win the Arena Bowl?
24. Q: How do you spend your free time?
A: With my family… the last 3 days I was in Vegas promoting the AFL and charities, the day before that Miami… Not a lot of free time
25. Q: Me and my husband opened a Deli shop, we would like to name a sandwich after you. If you could be a sandwich which one would you be? My husband thinks you would be a breakfast sandwich and I think you are more of an Italian Sub
A: Laughs… That’s a loaded question. I could be a Big Ham, hmmm… an Italian Sausage?? Everyone is laughing..
26. Q: Are you recognized everywhere you go?
A: Yes, everyday. People really don’t bother me here, they are like, ‘whatever’ they don’t care. But like in Vegas, at the Hard Rock, that is my job to be noticed there. I can usually sit in the corner over there and no one cares that I’m even here!
27. Q: Industry question?
A: I was disappointed in the box set sales, I hope this new CD is promoted better, but I know you guys will help with that..
28. Q: Jon, my friend is getting married next weekend, will you and Mrs Bon Jovi attend?
A: Laughed and said sorry, I won’t be able to make it. (Later, when she got her picture taken with him, she had an invitation filled out to Mr & Mrs BJ and he filled out the response card sorry, Mr & Mrs Bon Jovi cannot attend for her)
29. Jons says: On the wedding note, Guys girls are so much worse at Bachelorette parties! I saw one down at the Hard Rock and these girls were insane! Guys go to one and all they do is sit around and drink beer and say ‘Duh…’
Someone yelled out… hey, can you come to my bachelorette party? He said Oh sure, you guys will strip me naked and have me dancing on the pole! Everyone was laughing…
30. Q: A guy asks, Are you going to take your shirt off again in BOSTON?
A: I think Jon just laughed
31. Q: A guy asked him he could buy him a beer, A Coors light right?
A: No, I think I will have a Margarita on the rocks. The drink came, it was Red.. he yells to the bartender… do you think you can try this again.. and then no drink ever came! He yelled a couple times… Can’t I get a drink in this place!
32. Q: What inspired you to do this new CD?
A: The election. You know, people look to Bono spiritually and politically… people look to me to have fun…
33. Q: What does the new song Novocain mean? Were you at the dentist?
A: Who do you write for? What publicist? Did you hear the song yet?
She said, No I haven’t heard it yet… just heard this title was on the CD. I don’t write for a magazine, I have a fanclub Asian site called Crush
Jon said that we should pay close attention to the lyrics, that it is tongue in cheek, said that it was like when you are so much in pain that you are numbed by it, that’s why the title. He said. Well, it’s about a hard time a band member is going through.. a divorce. Everyone, gasped and sighed… No, No, its not me… (no one found out who)
34. Q: How have kids changed your life? Someone else yelled – I have 8 kids!
A: That is crazy! I have nannies; I have nannies for my nannies and even one for me!
35. Q: Do you recognize faces, fans at concerts?
A: Yes, I do, some
36. Q: What is the name of the new CD?
A: People were yelling out ‘Have a Nice Day’, he said ‘Nah, I really don’t like that’. We aren’t sure what to name it yet.
37. Q: What inspired Have a Nice Day?
A: Being bit of a Rebel
38. Q: Asked about the LA Reid article about why he went back to the studio
A: Got to work with Shanks and it went pretty fast, so fast that at the meeting with the Record Company for the Box Set, he said… What about this? and gave them the album already finished in October last year. It was set to be released in February, but he was not totally happy with it, so they went back to the studio around the holidays and wrote 4 more songs for it. I wasn’t happy with all the songs, I redid 4 songs. I’m happy with it now and I have signed off on it.
39. Q: When are you going to mix up the set list at concerts and play some new songs? Sick of the old songs?
A: Everyone booed her… Jon was a little surprised at the question. I would like to do new songs, but people come to see the band do their hits. I have to play what I like too.
40. Q: What is your favorite song to perform live?
41. Q: I danced with you in Tampa, I was wearing a cowboy hat,
A: Shhhh, don’t tell everyone that!
My mother was sick and couldn’t go to the concert with me, she was suppose too and she told me just to go that it would be good night for me… it was, I got to dance with you and then shortly after my mother passed away. Just wanted to say Thank you…
42. Q: A guy said something that his mother passed away and at the funeral the only thing that got him through it was having Living on a Prayer and Kidnap an Angel played.
A: I’m sorry for your loss, thanks man.
43. Q: Is there anyone you would like to have dinner with past or present?
A: Everyone yelled out Elvis, Frank! He said, No, not Elvis. I think it would be Frank Sinatra. He asked if anyone caught Dateline last week. There was a women, Peggy Lipton who wrote a book about all the people she slept with. Paul McCartney being one of them. He said, even after hearing those stories that he still thinks Frank would have more stories to tell.
44. Q: What do you think of the new generation of fans?
A: Ha, I will be playing Its My Life for the rest of my life! In the part that says ‘Like Frankie says, I did it my way’, Richie said ‘Over my dead body!’…. (Jon was always referred to as Frank and Richie was Dean) The younger generation always asks who Frank is!
45. Q: With the decrease in album sales and the increase in downloading how do you feel the new dual disc concept will pan out!
A: Can you repeat the question, it sounded like an intelligent question. Nowadays you have to work to provide a consumer with more of a product or they will just download a song for $.99. No kids buy a complete CD anymore…He said he’s hard pressed to get his own kids to buy cds as they’d much rather pay for the single downloads
46. Q: Someone asked if he thought Last Man Standing will get them respect
A: Don’t know… I was really angry at the time and meant what I said. (Then he tried to remember part of the lyrics and we had to help), he decided to change the part about J Lo. I thought it was not fair to do that to another artist that is trying to make it. He was trying to sing it, kept mumbling it… then the girl shouted out some words but he said he couldn’t remember it.
47. Q: Someone asked about Destination Anywhere ?
A: This CD is definitely very personal but there is a limit as to how much so. I did that once with DA. I would never do that again, no one bought it!
48. Q: Whats up with these get in the right lane to take a left turn?
A: He laughed, cant remember what he said (?)
49. Q: I’m getting paid $150 to ask this question, Rumor has it, ‘All I want to do is you’ is dedicated to the fans!
A: He laughed..
50. Q: You were the last band to play at Wembley before it was torn down, will you be the first to re-open it?’
A: I believe his answer was no and then went on to say something else about playing in England. She asked about MK Bowl which he said they will not been playing in the foreseeable future but one of the english dates is at a cricket ground
51. Q: What would you do for a Klondike Bar?
A: He laughed and moved on
52. Q: When will Have A Nice Day video be shot?
A: Very soon. Release date for the song is July 18th, the video will be shot early July
53. Q: Bon Jovi has contributed so much professionally to the music industry, what would you most like them to be remembered by?”
A: It is what it is. He said when it was the big thing to do by hiring a rapper to be in a band- they didn’t and that basically they’ve never compromised themselves and “been true” to themselves and for us as fans and the public to keep doing what we’re doing by buying the music and going to the concerts and for the band to keep doing what their doing by making the music and that, in it’s own way, was their legacy. When he said that he’d keep “doing what he’s doing” she said “you’re really good at it!”
54. Q: Why doesn’t the band ever play “On The Edge Of A Broken Heart?”
A: I never liked that song
55. Q: Do you still have a piece of the Berlin Wall?
A: Yes, it is in a Plexiglas thing to protect it and highlight it
56. Q: Something about Tom Cruise came up (?)
A: He was jumping all over Oprah’s couch…looked ridiculous.. Thought he was a better actor than that. If I wanted to be on the cover of US magazine, I could do something crazy too..
57. Q: What is your favorite song on the CD?
A: I don’t know, I like Who says you can’t go home, Welcome to wherever you are… Bells of Freedom will be great to perform live, looking forward to it.
58. Q: What’s it like hearing your songs in a club when the DJ plays them when you are there?
A: I was standing on a balcony looking down at all the people singing Living on a Prayer, it was cool.
59. Q: How long you plan to be in the music business?
A: As long as I like what I’m doing, not for fame or money. As long as I enjoy it and can balance the time.
60. Q: What is your greatest accomplishment?
A: That the band still believes in the vision, certainly not the Money
61. Q: What was the craziest thing a fan ever did?
A: To try to pass as a pizza delivery person or a nurse. Once two girls
hid in the back of our van and they scared the hell out of me. Then security kicked them out.. then we fired security!
62. Thanks to the Soul, he would be presenting a check for $150.000 for charities. He said that he is taking from the rich to give to the poor.
63. Q: Asked if Radio saved my Life today was really true.
A: He said yes, during his time in CA.
64. Q: There is a group of us girls that have a website and go to all the Soul games ‘Philly Soulsisters’, we were wondering if you could take a picture with us for the website?
A: Well, I think it is about that time to take 300 pictures with everyone… Everyone thanks.